Saturday, September 13, 2014

Neil Gaiman's The Last Temptation 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Hardcover

Neil Gaiman's The Last Temptation 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition Hardcover

I’d never read this one before.  Maybe because I wasn’t an Alice Cooper fan or because I didn’t really know of Neil Gaiman when this was originally released.  Now that I have read it, I think it’s fair to say that this isn’t Gaiman’s best work but it’s not bad either.  It doesn’t require you be a fan of Alice Cooper, though that might help some.  It’s the kind of story you read just before Halloween.  A mysterious theater appears in town, threatening to take make Steven a part of its show--forever.  Teased by his friends.  Taunted by the Showman.  Steven is stuck trying to figure this game out on his own (with a little assistance from a nice old librarian).

The last 30-40% is actually not the story, but the making of the story.  The letters and scripts and early b&w art. 

For fans of any/all involved, I’d say this is a solid 4 stars.  For the average person who knows nothing about any involved (do those people exist?), it’s probably more like a 3 star book. 


* Disclaimer: I received this book at no cost in order to review it. I offered no guarantee of a positive review, though I only request books I think I'll like because why read a book you think you’ll hate?