Friday, June 6, 2014

I read YA and I'm not ashamed.

Recently Slate posted a story which explained that adults who read from the 'young adult' genre should be embarrassed.  Their story can be found here.

I read YA way more than adult and I am not ashamed.   Especially as someone who prefers what generally gets categorized as "Fantasy".  Magic, vampires. etc.  Since every book has to be a series now (my biggest book pet peeve) YA is especially important. Too often the adult series turns to crap and/or smut by book 3, losing the fun of the story.  YA can actually be equally as trashy but generally, they tend to stay a bit more innocent with the love stories and more often it's a background storyline while the actual fantasy is still up front and center. 

One should not be ashamed of what they read.  At least we're reading.