Thursday, July 31, 2014

To This Day: For the Bullied and Beautiful by Shane Koyczan

To This Day: For the Bullied and Beautiful
Author:  Shane Koyczan w/various illustrators
Release date: September 2, 2014

Before discovering this book, I had somehow missed seeing the video version of the poem that is on display here.  Now that I have seen both all I can say is WOW!  

Okay maybe I can say a little more than that.  This book should probably be required reading for kids.  It’s a great way to introduce them to poetry.  Not just any poetry but poetry that means something.  Poetry that points out the damage that bullying can do.  Poetry that points out that no matter how tough things are, you can make it through.

Not only is the poem beautiful but the illustrations are too.  Though they are done by numerous artists and styles, they all work here. 

Everyone involved should be proud.  If you haven’t seen the video version yet, I’d read the book first and then follow it up with the video.
 

* Disclaimer: I received this book at no cost in order to review it. I offered no guarantee of a positive review, though I only request books I think I'll like because why read a book you think you’ll hate?