Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Powdered Eggs by Charles Simmons

Powdered Eggs: A Novel by Charles Simmons

So I didn't hate this book, but I didn't love it either. It's just middle of the road for me. I assume my fairly neutral feelings come from the fact that this book is a bit dated. I wasn't alive in the 60s. That's not to say that I cannot read books from/about eras not known to me personally -- just this one didn't make me feel connected to it. 

The story is told via one sided letters (the pen pal sometimes responds and sometimes does not, but we never see those letters). A young man, fresh from college, is attempting to figure out his place in the world. To truly be a writer or to just settle for a job. To pick this girl or that one. To keep this friend or not to. 

Probably the best part of the book comes at the very end, where the letters are summed up as the writer of them decides that perhaps they can be a part of his novel. Even though it was the best part of the book, I still found it to be a little forced. It basically was a few passages explaining that such letters in novel form would be criticized as boring (it was). 

I think this book is just for a different generation. Things that were not taboo subjects then are now and ones that were shocking then are not now. To have a story like that work for everyone we need to really connect to the characters, I didn't. 

I do think that this is a 5 star book for someone, just not me.



* Disclaimer: I received this book at no cost in order to review it. I offered no guarantee of a positive review, though I only request books I think I'll like because why read a book you think you’ll hate?